An electrophysiologist is a cardiologist specially trained in the management of the electrical aspects of the heart. These specialists test for, diagnose and treat irregular heart rhythms, known as arrhythmias.
At times individuals can have an abnormal heart beat and not even know it. Arrhythmias are usually discovered as a result of one or more of the following symptoms:
- Shortness of breath
- Fluttering in the chest or neck
- Lightheadedness, dizziness or fainting
- Chest pain
- Cardiac arrest
If you experience a problem related to an abnormal heart rhythm, your physician may refer you to an electrophysiologist to ensure accurate diagnosis and access to the best options for treatment.
Some of the conditions treated include:
- Atrial fibrillation
- Bradycardia (slow heartbeat)
- Tachycardia (fast heartbeat)
- Sudden cardiac arrest
- Long QT syndrome
- Wolff-Parkinson-White (WPW) syndrome
- Arrhythmias caused by pregnancy or other non-cardiac conditions