The Observation Program at ProHealth Care offers hands-off-only educational opportunities for individuals to observe the role of a medical professional working in the field.
Review the steps below for the process of requesting an observation experience at ProHealth Care*.
*For the safety of our patients and employees, the minimum age requirement for observation is 16 years or older.
Step 1: Obtain a ProHealth Care sponsor for your observation experience
The sponsor will serve as your liaison during the process of submitting and scheduling a request for observation. A sponsor at ProHealth Care can be obtained two ways:
- Enlist a friend or family member who works for ProHealth Care; or
- Contact the department of your interest to inquire if an opportunity for observation is available
- Call 262-928-1000 and ask to be transferred to the department (including the campus location), i.e., “I would like to be connected to Labor and Delivery at Waukesha Memorial Hospital.” Once you are connected, you can inquire about the possibility of an observation experience.
We cannot guarantee a PHC employee will be able to sponsor you, or a department's availability to accommodate requests for observation.
Step 2: Complete the required paperwork
The following must be included:
- Completed Request for Observation at ProHealth Care, including proof of completion from the Student/Observer Orientation module; and
- History of 2 MMR vaccine -or- positive rubella, rubeola and mumps titre; and
- History of 2 varicella vaccine -or- positive varicella titre -or- history of chicken pox or shingles; and
- Negative TB skin test, less than 12 months old -or- negative TB chest x-ray or blood test; and
- Proof of current flu vaccine during Flu Season (October 1st - May 30th)
All immunization records must be documented by a health care provider.
Step 3: Submit the required paperwork for processing
See below to determine where your completed paperwork must be sent.
Requests for observation submitted incomplete and/or without a sponsor will be denied.
If the employee you wish to observe is a nurse, therapy staff (PT, OT, RT, etc.) or other health care staff who is not a physician or advanced practice provider, send your completed paperwork to:
Center for Learning & Innovation
For physician, nurse practitioner and physician assistant observation requests, contact:
Heather M. Johnson
For student placement through a college or university:
See the student placement site