Confidential care available 24/7
After a sexual assault, visit the Emergency Department at ProHealth Waukesha Memorial Hospital. You’ll receive sensitive care in a peaceful private room.
Preparing for your exam
Try to avoid activities that could damage evidence, such as showering, bathing, changing clothes, brushing your hair, or using the bathroom. If possible, bring a change of clothes with you.
Call 800-656-4673 to connect to the National Sexual Assault Telephone Hotline and receive confidential support from a trained staff member.
What to expect
After arriving at the hospital, you’ll go to a private room. There, you’ll meet with an advocate and a sexual assault nurse examiner. Depending on your needs and preferences, your exam may include:
- Physical exam
- Treatment for injuries
- Tests for sexually transmitted infections (STIs)
- Medications to prevent STIs
- Education about physical and mental effects of sexual assault
- Information about community resources
- Sexual assault forensic exam
Sexual assault forensic exams
You may choose to have a sexual assault forensic exam, also known as a “rape kit.” This exam isn’t required, but it’s helpful if you decide to report the crime. During this free exam, a specially trained sexual assault nurse may:
- Ask about your health history.
- Collect DNA evidence with combs and swabs.
- Conduct a full-body examination.
- Document physical injuries.
- Guide you through legal steps you can take after you leave the hospital.
You can decide which parts of the exam you’d like the nurse to conduct, and you can stop at any time. Feel confident that we’ll respect your wishes.
Specially trained nurses
Know you’re receiving care from a qualified professional. Sexual assault nurse examiners (SANEs) complete extensive training and have specialized knowledge about the physical, mental and emotional effects of sexual assault. Your nurse can tell you about healthy ways to handle these effects and where you can seek help.
If you choose to report the assault, your nurse can serve as an expert witness at a trial.