How to prepare
In addition to taking preparation steps for your specific procedure, you’ll need to follow these general guidelines:
- Preregister for your appointment.
- Bring a list of all medications you take.
- Bring your inhaler(s) if you have asthma.
- Contact your doctor if you take any of these medications:
- Blood thinners (persantine, aspirin, coumadin, Plavix, ticlid)
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories (Advil, Motrin, Aleve)
- Insulin or hypoglycemia pills
- St. John's Wort (herbal medicine)
- Arrange for a responsible adult to drive you home after a procedure, since you’ll still be sleepy from the sedation. Ask someone to watch you for the rest of the day and report any complications to your doctor.
- Notify your doctor if you have any trouble with your preparation.
Expect your appointment to last three to four hours, depending on your procedure.