What’s a body composition scan?
A body composition scan uses dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) to quickly, easily and accurately:
- Measure your fat, muscle, bone and water mass.
- Determine your body fat percentage.
- Show exact locations of fat and muscle mass.
- Detect visceral fat, which lies in the spaces around your internal abdominal organs.
Why get a whole-body composition scan?
Make an appointment for a whole-body composition scan at ProHealth when you want precise, reliable data that helps you and your care team:
- Assess your risk for osteoporosis (thin, weak bones).
- Better understand your risk of developing conditions linked to visceral fat, such as cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes.
- Create a customized athletic training and performance plan.
- Monitor muscle loss or muscle gain in specific places of your body.
- See muscle imbalances in your arms, legs or core.
- Set and track your progress toward weight loss goals.
What to expect at your scan
Scans are simple, fast and painless. The scan takes around 10 minutes and is like having an X-ray. You’ll change into a gown and lie on your back on a scanner bed. Then, an imaging device slowly passes above your body several times. You’ll be asked to remain still during the test.
Plan on about 30 minutes for your appointment.
When will I get my results?
Get your results immediately after your scan. You’ll receive a detailed report with color images and a guide to help you interpret the results. We’ll also send results to your primary care provider and add them to your medical record. You can see them online through MyChart.
Pay just $99 for your whole-body composition scan at ProHealth.
This test isn’t covered by insurance, but you may be able to use your flexible spending account (FSA) or health savings account (HSA). Contact your insurance provider for information about your plan.