What’s a pulmonologist?
Pulmonologists are doctors who treat lung conditions and respiratory illnesses. They also care for other parts of your body related to lung function, such as your heart, chest and respiratory tract.
Lung conditions we treat
Find care for a wide range of lung conditions at ProHealth, including:
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Lung cancer
- Pulmonary fibrosis, or scarring in the lungs
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Respiratory failure
- Respiratory infections and viruses, such as influenza, pneumonia and tuberculosis
Diagnostic tests and procedures
Rely on ProHealth for accurate diagnosis of lung diseases. Your doctor may recommend tests or minimally invasive procedures such as:
- Bronchoscopy – Examines your lungs, throat and other airways using a thin, flexible tube through your nose to diagnose lung disease, tumors, chronic cough and other airway and chest problems. Your doctor also can collect small tissue samples (biopsy).
- Chest CT scan
- Positron emission tomography (PET) scan
- Needle biopsy of the lung – Uses image guidance to find and take a sample from a nodule or abnormal area in your lung.
- Pulmonary function testing – Checks how much air your lungs can hold, how quickly air moves in and out of your lungs, and how well your lungs exchange oxygen and carbon dioxide.
Electromagnetic navigation bronchoscopy (ENB)
Rely on the advanced technology at ProHealth Waukesha Memorial Hospital to help diagnose your lung condition. We’re the first health system in Wisconsin to offer electromagnetic navigation bronchoscopy (ENB) using the superDimension navigation system.
ENB uses electromagnetic navigation (similar to global positioning system, or GPS technology), and real-time CT imaging. With ENB, your doctor can remove tissue samples (biopsy) from your lung and diagnose lung disease and tumors earlier. The procedure involves guiding a thin flexible tube called a scope to specific areas of your lung.
Tailored pulmonary care and treatment
Partner with the knowledgeable respiratory and pulmonology team at ProHealth for personalized lung care. To understand your overall health, your doctor will review your medical history. You may need tests to check for lung conditions.
Depend on your care team for complete lung care. Your doctor will spend time with you to learn about your lifestyle, preferences and goals. You may begin treatment with symptom control and lifestyle changes. You’ll receive education, support and resources to help you make health decisions for your best possible quality of life. Pulmonary rehabilitation may be recommended as part of your treatment plan.
Respiratory care for critical illnesses
If you or a loved one needs breathing care during a serious illness or injury, count on ProHealth pulmonologists and respiratory therapists for expert critical care and intensive care.
Palliative care for advanced lung disease
Seek palliative care to help cope with lung disease and improve your quality of life.
Pulmonary disease support group
Attend a free pulmonary disease support group to receive support from others living with chronic lung disease.