What’s vestibular rehabilitation?
Vestibular rehabilitation is a special type of physical therapy used to treat balance disorders.
Symptoms of a balance disorder
You may benefit from vestibular rehabilitation if you experience symptoms such as:
- Difficulty reading or focusing your eyes
- Falling or feeling like you’re going to fall
- Lightheadness or faintness
- Vertigo (spinning sensation)
Rely on your physical therapist (PT) to start your therapy by learning more about your condition. Your comprehensive assessment includes:
- Review of your medical history.
- Discussion of your symptoms and how they affect your daily life.
- Simple tests of your visual, vestibular (balance) and sensory systems.
Personalized care plan
Partner with your PT to create a customized care plan. Depending on your needs, it may include:
- Balance training
- Body awareness training
- Eye exercises
- Posture training
- Strengthening and stretching exercises
- Walking exercises