What is medical weight loss?
Medical weight loss helps you manage weight safely and effectively without surgery. You work with a team of medical professionals to find the causes of your weight gain, and then follow a custom plan that includes nutrition, exercise and behavior changes to achieve your wellness goals.
Is medical weight loss for me?
You may benefit from medically supervised weight loss at ProHealth if you’re 18 or older and:
- Would like to lose weight.
- Need to lose weight for medical reasons.
- Struggle to lose weight or have difficulty keeping it off.
- Are ready to commit to new, lifelong healthy habits.
Get your BMI
Body mass index, or BMI, estimates a person’s body fat based on height and weight. Check your BMI using an online BMI calculator.
Why lose weight?
Improve your overall health and well-being when you build healthful habits and maintain a weight that’s right for you. If you carry excess weight, losing 7 to 10 percent of your current weight may improve your:
- Blood pressure
- Blood sugar levels
- Digestive problems
- Emotional health
- Joint function and pain
Your weight-loss team
Achieve long-term results with help from experts who take a coordinated, holistic approach to weight loss. Your dedicated team includes:
- Family medicine doctor – Leads your care team and monitors your progress.
- Registered nurse (RN) – Serves as your wellness coach, helping you overcome challenges and meet your goals.
- Behavioral health clinician – Helps you understand your relationship with food, develop skills to lose weight and control emotional eating.
- Dietitian – Shows you how to plan, shop for and cook nutritious foods that fit your tastes, lifestyle, budget and health goals.
Integrative medicine approach
Your weight-loss team is led by Julie Larsen, MD. Dr. Larsen holds advanced training in integrative medicine. Integrative medicine combines conventional treatments with evidence-based complementary therapies such as nutrition, mindfulness and physical activity.
Your first appointments
Start your weight-loss journey with a comprehensive assessment. This helps your team understand your individual strengths, challenges, needs and preferences. Your first appointments will include:
- Physical exam
- Review of your medical history
- Blood tests
- Metabolic rate test to learn how many calories you need each day
- Body composition analysis
- Discussion of your weight history, strengths, challenges, motivations and goals
Personalized weight-loss plans
Work with your ProHealth medical weight-loss team to create a plan that’s tailored to you. Count on us to help you improve your weight and also your overall health. Your plan will include:
- Monthly one-on-one sessions with your RN wellness coach to celebrate successes, address challenges, and discuss short- and long-term goals.
- Regular small group meetings with a behavioral health clinician to help you address emotional eating or behavioral issues that can affect your weight loss.
- Meetings with a dietitian to improve nutrition knowledge, try new foods, learn grocery shopping tips and discover new, quick, tasty meals.
- Self-monitoring of food intake with apps or food logs.
- Personalized exercise plan and a six-month membership to ProHealth West Wood Health & Fitness Center.
Primary care coordination
Get coordinated care for chronic conditions while you’re on your weight-loss journey. Trust us to communicate with your primary care provider about treatment for health issues such as diabetes or high cholesterol.
HSA- and FSA-eligible weight-loss program
You can use a health savings account (HSA) or flexible savings account (FSA) to pay for your medical weight-loss program at ProHealth. Weight-loss programs are not usually covered by insurance, but check with your insurance provider to learn what’s covered under your plan.