What is medical weight loss?
Medical weight loss helps you manage weight safely and effectively without surgery. A team of medical professionals works with you to determine the causes of your weight gain, and then helps you follow a custom plan that includes nutrition, exercise and behavior changes to achieve your wellness goals.
Is medical weight loss for me?
You may benefit from medically supervised weight loss at ProHealth Care if you’re 18 or older and:
- Would like to lose weight.
- Need to lose weight for medical reasons.
- Struggle to lose weight or have difficulty keeping it off.
- Are ready to commit to new, lifelong healthy habits.
Measure your body mass index
Body mass index, or BMI, estimates a person’s body fat based on height and weight. Check your BMI using an online BMI calculator.
Why lose weight?
Improve your overall health and well-being when you build healthy habits and maintain a weight that’s right for you. If you carry excess weight, losing 7 to 10 percent of your current weight may improve your:
- Blood pressure
- Blood sugar levels
- Digestive problems
- Emotional health
- Joint function and pain
Your weight-loss team
Achieve long-term results with help from experts who take a coordinated, holistic approach to weight loss. Your dedicated team includes:
- Nurse practitioner – Serves as your wellness coach, helping you overcome challenges and meet your goals. Helps you understand your relationship with food, develop skills to lose weight and control emotional eating.
- Dietitian – Shows you how to plan, shop for and cook nutritious foods that fit your tastes, lifestyle, budget and health goals.
Your first appointments
Your weight-loss journey will start with a comprehensive assessment. This helps your team understand your strengths, challenges, needs and preferences. Your first appointments will include:
- Medical assessment
- Laboratory tests
- Metabolic rate test to learn how many calories you need each day
- Body composition analysis
- Discussion of your weight history, strengths, challenges, motivations and goals
Personalized weight-loss plans
You'll work with your ProHealth medical weight-loss team to create a plan that’s tailored to you. Recommended plans focus on a lifelong, whole foods approach that balances optimum nutrition with real-life practical concerns.
Count on us to help you improve your weight and your overall health. Learn how to practice evidence-based strategies with:
- Monthly one-on-one virtual or in-person sessions with the nurse practitioner to celebrate successes, address challenges, and discuss your short-term and long-term goals.
- Educational materials and videos to help you address emotional eating and behavioral issues that can affect your weight loss.
- Virtual meetings with a dietitian to improve nutrition knowledge, encourage you to try new foods and learn tips for grocery shopping and stocking your pantry with healthy foods.
- Video cooking demonstrations that include recipes for quick, tasty meals.
- Self-monitoring of food intake with apps or food logs.
- Personalized exercise plan and a six-month membership to ProHealth West Wood Health & Fitness Center.
Primary care coordination
Get coordinated care for chronic conditions while you’re on your weight-loss journey. Trust us to communicate with your primary care provider about treatment for health issues such as diabetes or high cholesterol.
Program fees are eligible for health and flexible savings account reimbursement
You can use a health savings account (HSA) or flexible savings account (FSA) to pay for your medical weight-loss program at ProHealth. Weight-loss programs are not usually covered by insurance. Check with your insurance provider to learn what’s covered under your plan.